3 April 2016

Dead Men Walking (Zombies 1)

Hey All,

This post is showing some of the zombie miniatures that I have painted up over the past few months. For most of our games, the Zombicide miniatures we have are used for the zombies.

I think that within our gaming group, we have just about every release of Zombicide. Each of us has brought one of the boxes, and I picked up Season 3 - Rue Morgue and a Walk of the Dead top up box as well which has some more of the zombies from Season 1.

I think that the Zombicide miniatures are some of the best available, with the only real downside being the repetition of the poses. But we've found that if you mix and match the zombies from all the sets, you get a nice mix with not too much variation. 

I started out with the Walk of the Dead box set, and this is what I'll be showing off today:

Funny story: I had a family photo taken at my wedding a couple of years ago - that photo doesn't look too dissimilar to this one... :O

When it came to painting, I wanted a technique which was easy, effective and didn't take too long to paint. I came up with how I paint mine by chance more than anything else, but I liked the result so carried it through the entire horde.

For anybody who is interested, the skin recipe is:

1) Undercoat the model black.
2) Base coat of 'The Army Painter Warpaints' Necrotic Flesh - it takes about 2 coats to completely cover over the black.
3) Wash with 'The Army Painter Warpaints' Dark Tone Wash - nice and messy.
4) Once dried, a light drybrush with white - I use GW Praxeti White, which is one of the paints from their dry range. 

And that is it.

Clothes are painted in a variety of colours, and washed with either a black wash or dark tone wash depending on what the colour of the the clothing is, and once dried, are drybrushed with Bestial Brown, which is an old GW colour - but any brown will do to dirty up the clothes.

The blood is done simply by painting on GW Blood for the Blood God technical paint - nice and easy.

I paint in batches of 8 models at a time and it usually takes me about 1 1/2 hours to paint 8 models from start to finish. 


 This is my favourite sculpt from this set - it is just a classic zombie pose - shambling along, dragging the foot behind.

 Reach out. I'll be there. 
Not quite the Four Tops...

 The fatties - give us a hug.


 Hello ladies...

 Not a boy band...

 The runner sculpts are probably the weakest of the set, and I struggled to get both options painted but here they are.

Sorry about the blurriness of this one - just could not get these in focus. This was the best picture I could get.

Painting is fairly basic, and I've tried to get some variation of colour among the same miniature, but with a limited palette and a bit of dirtying up, I'm pleased with how they came out. 

At the moment, our games only consist of Shambler zombies (I'm a traditionalist) so the runner and fattie zombies are stand ins for normal zombies in our games. As I mentioned above, I struggled with the runner sculpts - I'm not overly keen on them and so I rushed through them, but they match up okay with the others and are usable.

I've now got over 100 zombies painted up - next will be showing the Rue Morgue miniatures.

Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment